Danube Institute
Batthyány Lajos Alapítvány
www.budapost.eu
Polgári Magyarországért Alapítvány
Friends of Hungary Foundation

Subscription

Hungarian Review annual subscriptions for six issues, including postage (choose one):

 
 
 

 
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z



Mária Prokopp

MÁRIA PROKOPP (Budapest, 1939), has been Professor of Art History at Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest since 1995. Her main field of research is European art of the 14th and 15th centuries. She published books on Italian masters like Giotto, Sassetta and Lorenzetti, and on the late Gothic art of Hungary. Almost for forty years, she has conducted research on the mural paintings of the late 15th century Esztergom palace of Archbishop János Vitéz and their Italian Renaissance connections. In 2000 she received a major grant to explore and restore the frescoes of the Virtues with the collaboration of restoration expert Zsuzsanna Wierdl, using the most up to date technology. The present essay, based on their joint multilingual book establishing the authorship of Botticelli, is a summary of that process. She is a holder of the Officer’s Rank of the Hungarian Order of Merit (2010).


26 May 2018
"The direct cultural relationship between the Kingdom of Hungary and Ferrara in the 1440s–1450s preceded the close contacts established with the city after the marriage of King Matthias and Beatrice of Aragon in 1476. We must note here that all three children of Beatrice’s sister, Eleonora and Alfonso d’Este, Duke of Ferrara, spent long years in Buda in Matthias’s court. We may thus almost be certain that the design of the studiolo in Mantua of their first-born, Isabella d’Este, was inspired by Hungarian Renaissance studioli as well."
more

18 May 2014
The close connection between the gradually unravelled frescoes of Esztergom and Botticelli’s art is itself perhaps more significant. And by the same token, we hope to see more clearly the precedents to the commission of Botticelli’s first authentic work, the Allegory of Fortitude (Florence, Uffizi Gallery), painted in the Mercanzia of Florence in 1470.
more


HUNGARIAN REVIEW is published by BL Nonprofit Kft.
It is an affiliate of the bi-monthly journal Magyar Szemle, published since 1991
Publisher: Gyula Kodolányi
Editor-in-Chief: Gyula Kodolányi
Editorial Manager: Ildikó Geiger
Editorial office: Budapest, 1067, Eötvös u. 24., HUNGARY
E-mail: hungarianreview[at]hungarianreview[dot]com
Online edition: www.hungarianreview.com

Genereal terms and conditions